Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Stamping of Plans

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
The answer is it depends on what state you're in.  Many states do not
explicitly cover what you must do to incorporate or adopt the work of
non-PE's after the fact.  However, Florida clearly spells out what you
must do to be a "successor professional engineer" (Rules Chapter

"a successor professional engineer ... must be able to document and
produce upon request evidence that he has in fact recreated all the work
done by the original professional engineer.  In other words,
calculations, site visits, research and the like must be documented ..
Further, the successor engineer must take all professional and legal
responsibility ..."

Most states, such as California, basically require that the engineer who
seals the work must have been in "Responsible Charge".  Look at section
404.1 of the California Code of Regulations Title 16, Chapter 5 (from
the 1996 edition of the Rules of the Board of Registration for the

Ed Marshall, PE
Simons Engineering

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Habaradas, Tony [SMTP:THabaradas(--nospam--at)]
> Sent:	Monday, August 24, 1998 1:04 PM
> To:	'seaint(--nospam--at)'
> Subject:	Stamping of Plans
> Somebody who is not a registered civil engineer has requested me to
> review his work and stamp the drawings and calculations that he has
> prepared.
> He gave me copies of his calculations and all the drawings.
> I like to know what do I need to do in this case and what are the
> legal and professional implications. 
> I will appreciate any help.