WOOD AND HOUSES

The several posts (and counter posts) I read about the use of wood in
houses construction moved me to ask you what follows.
Although I?m mechanical engineer, I do love wood, and my hobby is
woodworking.
But I am not convinced -so far- about the benefits of house contruction
from wood which seems to be the rule in USA. Here in south america we
still prefer bricks.
I was in Houston for 18 month, and I had the chance to see the progresive
construction of a condo nearby my place. I saw those tiny (o let?s say
slender) timber pieces to be put together to form the structure of walls,
frames, beams, etc. I also was told (pls tell me if this is true) that
these slim timbers came from very fast growing trees, specially developed
for construction. I also was told that unless termites choose the same
home as you do, this full wood houses can last up to 30 years.
All this introduction is just to ask to you fellows (ladys included) why
this wood based system was chosen. Are there some kind of historical
reasons?, or may be old traditions? A friend that lives in Tampa Fl, made
his house to be built up in our traditional way (bricks and more bricks)
and he had to pay 30% more that a fully wood house. So, Is it because of
money?
By the way, how about New Zeland? What do you use there?

Finally, I would like to tell you that this query is just for the sake of
knowledge.

thanks