Re: WOOD AND HOUSES

>Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 18:41:22 -0700
>From: Juan Enrique Justo <jjusto(--nospam--at)copime.org.ar>
>To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>Subject: WOOD AND HOUSES

When you give a dog or a cat a bath, as soon as they are free to go out,
they will again rub their body in the soil... and get dirty again.  This
is because in their genes, there is something that says that if they do
not smell like the outdoor environment, other animals, perhaps
predators, can trace them.

In all people from british descent, (and I am not sure this has to do
with genes, but certainly with education because in Jamaica and other
former british posesions they also built with cardboard and toothpicks)

....Allright all the people from british cultyral descent like to build
in wood.  Japanese love to use rice by-products too!  Russians have
plenty of wood (Swedes too) and they are not building much in wood other
than in the countryside.

In the Encarta 96 enciclopedia you'll find out that London (founded
under the name of Londina or Londra in 61 (BC or AC ?) I cant remember,
by the romans, started building in stone. After the roman occupation,
they switched to wood (a genetical problem perhaps, like in the case of
dogs and cats).

 Several fires (not termites) eventyually put the wood out of business.
The use of wood in bridges ended by a collapse of one of then in the
late 1800's.

We can discuss cost but I am too busy, I still work for a living!

Jose Diez P.E. Fl.

>The several posts (and counter posts) I read about the use of wood in
>houses construction moved me to ask you what follows.
>Although I?m mechanical engineer, I do love wood, and my hobby is
>woodworking.
>But I am not convinced -so far- about the benefits of house contruction
>from wood which seems to be the rule in USA. Here in south america we
>still prefer bricks.
>I was in Houston for 18 month, and I had the chance to see the
progresive
>construction of a condo nearby my place. I saw those tiny (o let?s say
>slender) timber pieces to be put together to form the structure of
walls,
>frames, beams, etc. I also was told (pls tell me if this is true) that
>these slim timbers came from very fast growing trees, specially
developed
>for construction. I also was told that unless termites choose the same
>home as you do, this full wood houses can last up to 30 years.
>All this introduction is just to ask to you fellows (ladys included)
why