RE: WOOD AND HOUSES

Juan,
Wood has always been an available resource in the United States. Not only
that, but if you search our Website for archived posts related to wood you
will see that it is a very forgiving and ductile material.
The wood you are refering to is manufactured structural wood members. The
trees do not grow faster, but are harvested while still young. This allows
the use of controled forests specifically created for this industry. Trees
are harvested in sections so that by the time the rounds are made, the
starting area has new mature (although young) trees. Because of this, no old
trees are necessary and our forests are protected.
These young trees are cut into small splintered sections - approximately 1"
wide by 6" long and about 1/4" to 1/2 inch thick (I'm not absolutly sure
about the dimensions). They are aligned and microwaved in an epoxy type
adhesive. The resulting proprietary member is both stronger than
conventional wood and more dimentionally stable.
You might try searching out the Trus-Joist MacMillian or Lousianna Pacific
websites to learn more about manufactured wood products. Search for terms
such as Parallam or Timber Strand or LVL or Microlam. You should find a lot
of information on these products.
Homes constructed on the east coast of the USA have lasted hundreds of
years - a far cry from 30 years. Brick is used on homes as a veneer in the
midwest. Brick is also undesirable as a building material in the West Coast
due to seismic activity. Brick buildings do not do well in earthquake -
however, I believe they perform better in high wind area's were the weight
of the brick is used to overcome the wind loads.
Possibly others can shed more light on this for you.
Hope this helps.
Dennis S. Wish PE