From: Sasha Itsekson [mailto:itsekson(--nospam--at)jps.net]
Sent: Monday, August 24, 1998 9:23 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Rw for dual systems

Dennis,

Thanks for your response.  I realized that the engineering should have been
done to the State Historic Code.  However this project has a 9 year history,
and should meet certain financial requirements in order to be feasible.  The
building could not be demolished (historic building), but it does not have
enough equity to justify the capitol costs associated with full blown
upgrade.  The last time I was involved in this project there has been an
agreement with the City of Oakland to the minimum extent of the upgrade that
would acceptable to the City.

The diaphragm is a structural slab.  The exterior masonry piers are
"actually" infills.  I don't think that the City of Oakland or any other
city in the Bay  Area has the ordinance on URM Infill Building Upgrades.
UCBC does not address it either.  I would appreciate any comments if anybody
is aware of the recognized standard on that subject.

Sasha Itsekson, PE