From: Jose Diez [mailto:josediezpe(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 24, 1998 8:08 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: WOOD AND HOUSES

>Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 13:15:16 +1200 (NZST)
>From: Bruce Shephard <bruce.shephard(--nospam--at)opus.co.nz>
>To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>Subject: Re: WOOD AND HOUSES

The mechanical engineer likely refered to concrete masonry blocks
instead of bricks.  Clay is a rare find in Florida (other than in the
Panhandle).

As far as I know, ALL the Roman (and Moslem) inspired building codes,
rule out the use of wood for permanent structures. For multiple reasons,
beyond the scope of my contribution. Even in China they preper petrous
materials over rice by-product materials.

Unfortunately, the use of masonry needs special treatment in eatthquake
prone zones.  Steel can carefully replace masonry, but never wood iun
Roman inspired Building Codes.

Have you ever browsed a fire code in a Roman system country??? It is
only a few pages long, compared to the multiple volumes of NFPA codes in
the US.

Simple. In Roman codes, combustible materials are RARE.

Uplift is another word I rarely heard in my practice in Roman countries.
If you have a roof slab 4" (100 mm) thick that is 48+ PSF. The net
uplift under extreme winds for low rise buildings in the Caribbean area,
is not much more than 48 PSF.

For a high-rise 32 stories for instance, it can reach 300 PSF!!!! But an
8" (200 mm)  slab provides a self weight of 96 PSF. The net uplift is
around 200 PSF. You just supply steel to account for it.

One of my main reasons to move from Canada to the US, was that nearly
every affordable building was built out of wood. Today I can afford to
live in a concrete hi-rise structure.  I love noise,  carbon (ollin for
those who understand spanish) and people.  I am really tired of living
among cows, wood, and having to travel to downtown for work. Just
because after 1965, the americans decided to abandon urban life!

I AM VERY URBAN! And proud of it. Have you ever wondered why the roman
coliseum is still there? Or perhaps the house where Pilatus was born
more than 2000 years ago is still there?? Many other important buildings
have lasted2 milleniums or close to it, just because they were not built
in wood. By the way, some ancient roof structures were made out of wood.
How come most of these ancient roofs have little or no leaks??  Is the
english-american system of bio-degradable materials any better than the
Roman system??? NO!

Jose Diez P.E.  FL.

=

=
>why
>> this wood based system was chosen. Are there some kind of historical
=

>> reasons?, or may be old traditions? A friend that lives in Tampa Fl,
=
>made
>> his house to be built up in our traditional way (bricks and more
bric=
>ks)
>> and he had to pay 30% more that a fully wood house. So, Is it
because=
> of
>> money?
>
>Partly historical tradition and partly money or economics in NZ.
Europ=