RE: Stamping of Plans is common

While we certainly do not want drafting services to be producing
documents that get "rubber stamped", because engineering has an archaic
and territorial system of varying registration state by state there can
be instances where an out of state licensed engineer, for reasons of
technicality, needs the assistance of another engineer who is licensed
in the state the work will be constructed to get the project "stamped".

Steven M. Baldridge, P.E.,S.E.,C.E. etc etc

Dear Mr. Baldridge, etc.:

Are you advocating national registration?  Ugh!  I, for one, do not want
Bill Clinton's signature on my certificate!  Registration of all
professions has always been a state responsibility, and should remain
so.  However, more uniformity in the registration laws and procedures
would certainly be a welcome improvement.

With a bit of planning, out-of-state engineers can get additional
licenses by reciprocity in most states (excluding the west coast and a
few others).  You seem to imply that there are instances where plan
stamping is appropriate and acceptable.  There are no such instances,
and what you refer to as "reasons of technicality" are actually "reasons
of legality".  If you practice plan stamping, you will eventually lose
your license somewhere, and once you lose it in one state, you
eventually lose it everywhere (good uniformity of this).

In Texas, it is illegal to seal the work of another unless he/she worked
under your direct and active supervision.  This applies even if both
individuals are employed at the same company.

Best Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas

The goal of every engineer is to retire without
getting blamed for a major catastrophe!
                                    ... Dilbert