RE: 1950's steel joist catalog

Try the Steel Joist Institute's Sixty Year Manual
(http://www.steeljoist.org/resourc1.htm):
"Sixty Year Manual (August 1992) $59
This 316-page Manual contains all of the Steel Joist Institute's
Specifications and Load Tables starting with the Institute's inception
in 1928, continuing through 1988. A chronological listing of each
specification and load table is included in the front of the Manual. A
section of practical information is of great assistance to the
professional when analyzing existing structures. Included is a listing
of various building documents required and what use they can be,
building site information and equipment needed, step-by-step
investigative procedures, and other time saving data"
Ed Marshall, PE
Simons Engineering
Atlanta