RE: Wood and Houses

Dear busy Jose Diez:

I would like to respond to a few points in your recent post:

*	London was founded in 49 AD by the Romans, was burned to the
ground by local natives around 61 AD (perhaps the Romans didn't start
building in stone), and became known as Londinium about 100 AD.   It
didn't become AC until early until the 20th Century (advent of
electricity).
*	The British switched to wood because of their higher
intelligence.  Their life spans were short, and they wanted to actually
see their work completed.  Also, masonry is hard work (try sawing a rock
by hand) and slavery had gone out of style.  I would like to think that
the British also wanted to design for a sustainable environment (timber
is renewable, but rocks are hard to recycle).
*	Fires did not put wood out of business.  Many buildings in the
UK are still being constructed of wood, as well as small bridges.
*	The design and construction of wood frame houses has been around
for more than 2000 years.  It's only the thought that this is (or should
be) engineered construction that is relatively new!
*	Most houses in the US are wood frame construction.  In the
southern US there are only two kinds of homeowners:  those with termite
damage, and liars.  Gosh, I wonder if the White House is wood frame
construction?
Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas
Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we
don't wholly understand, into shapes we can't fully analyze,
so as to withstand forces we can't really assess,
in such a way that the community at large has no reason
to suspect the extent of our ignorance.      ... Jim Amrhein