Re: URM in seismic zones after 1933

Mark,

ICBO has (had) available microfiche of *all* codes from 1927 through 1988
which was listed in their July 1, 1997 catalog with the notation to call the
order department for details.

(The 1964 UBC Section 2314(j)4 states that masonry subject to seismic forces
had to be reinforced.  This doesn't go back to 1938, but it does go back one
more edition than you had.)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Mark Gorman wrote:

. > My intended question was  - "when (and where) did the restriction against
. > URM for seismic loads FIRST appear in the UBC".
. > The 1967 UBC (and later), Chapter 23 has the requirement that "... all
. > concrete and masonry that resists seismic forces is to be reinforced to
. > conform to the requirements for reinforced concrete and masonry".    I
. > cannot find the requirement (or similar) in either the 1935 UBC or 1952
. > UBC that I have.
. > (This question came about from discussions  with the owner of a URM
. > building in the Los Angeles area that the owner claims was built in 1938.
. >  We have sent someone down to the building department to get the actual
. > date.  But in the meantime, we couldn't give the owner the reference to
. > show that the 1938 date was not correct).
. >