Re: Stamping of Plans is common

Steven M. Baldridge wrote:

>Which engineer is doing a better job of "... primary obligation is to
protect
the safety, health and welfare of the public..."

>The principal in a large firm that might "browse" through a set of drawings
prepared by a young engineer under his/her "supervision" but does not look
at
the calculations prior to stamping the drawings OR an engineer who does a
thorough review of the drawings and calculations prepared by someone else
and
makes changes where appropriate. <

I agree with your point - many drawings are stamped by someone other than
the
person who did the detailed design.  In general, the PE rules should define
better what involvement the PE must have in a design - but they should also
allow for some form of "plan stamping" provided that adequate review is done
and the PE is allowed to make revisions as deemed necessary.  There are also
some very practical situations which PE rules should allow for: What if the
PE
dies or leaves the company just before the final design is to be issued?  Is
it realistic to expect the design to be completely redone or to just be
thoroughly reviewed by another PE?

By the way, is anyone aware of any state which requires the PE to actually
perform the calculations?  I am only aware of states which require that the
design be done under the "direction" or "supervision" of a PE.