RE: Canvas patio covers and the code????

Dennis,

This is simply not true that the awning companies never obtain permit for
the installation of the canvas structures.  I have personally dealt with the
awning company in LA area that asked the firm I used to work for to provide
analysis and design for several types of moduled awnings.

There should not be any difference between design requirements of canvas
structure and any other prefabricated structure (steel buildings, skylights
etc.).  They all should provide shop drawings and calculations signed by a
registered California Engineer.

The wind design on the fabric structures could get pretty complicated.  It
is in part because of the odd shape and in part because of large
deformations under the load (change in shape and hence the wind factors).
There are number of books available on this subject.  There is also
commercial software available to generate wind and other loads and analyze
fabric structures.

Contact me or call Craig Huntington at 510-251-9200 if you need any help on
fabric structures.

Sasha Itsekson, PE