RE: Stamping of Plans is common

[Bill Sherman]

- but they should also allow for some form of "plan stamping" provided that
adequate review is done and the PE is allowed to make revisions as deemed
necessary.

[Bill Polhemus]
Well, in that case it wouldn't be "plan stamping"; it would be work done
under
"responsible charge" of the P.E. who is sealing the work.

We need to get our definitions clear:  "Plan Stamping" means PRECISELY that
an
engineer simply takes drawings representing the work of another and, without
any more than perhaps a cursory review, seals and signs them and receives a
fee in return.

[Bill Sherman]

Your definition of plan stamping does not appear to be the one being used by
others on this list - the definition being used appears to be "taking plans
done by an unregistered engineer and stamping them after the design has been
done" - regardless of the amount of review done by the stamping engineer.
That was the question that started this thread - what amount of review is
necessary to make this legal?

Others have indicated that this cannot be legally done.  My point is that
"responsible charge" should be better defined for such cases to make it
possible to stamp another's work only if you satisfy yourself that the work
is
acceptable.

[Bill Polhemus]

I have "thoroughly reviewed" the work of another P.E. who left the company.
made sure that my review was thorough enough so that I was satisfied with
the
work (or made corrections as necessary to ensure my satisfaction) and then
sealed the drawings.  This is not "plan stamping."

[Bill Sherman]

Some people/states would likely define what you did as plan stamping, since
the work was not originally done under your direct supervision.  But I am
suggesting that PE rules explicitly allow what you've done.

[Bill Sherman]

By the way, is anyone aware of any state which requires the PE to actually
perform the calculations?  I am only aware of states which require that the
design be done under the "direction" or "supervision" of a PE.

[Bill Polhemus]

Well, that's the point.  ALL work should be done under the "responsible
charge" (the correct term last time I looked) of the P.E. who is sealing the
drawings.  Not necessary for the P.E. to actually do the work; that would be
confusing beyond belief.  I am currently in responsible charge of three
projects, one very large, that will be sealed by me, yet I have a staff of
nine professionals including six other engineers, who are doing by far the
lion's share of the work.
But the come to me with questions, and I provide the general direction.  In
the end, I review the drawings after they have been thoroughly "checked" by
the project engineers who work for me.  I have veto power of any and all
aspects of the work.  That is "responsible charge."

[Bill Sherman]

I work in the same manner - I am involved in the design throughout, but I do
not do all the design work myself.  My point is that since the PE is not
required to perform all the calculations, there should not be a need to
completely regenerate calculations when stamping work performed by others -
rather performing a review of existing design calculations should be
allowed.

On the other hand, I find the term "responsible charge" to be far too loose
in
some state laws.  I have seen cases where a project manager who is in charge
of an overall project stamps the structural drawings - but the project
manager
did not make a single technical comment on any of the drawings.  The work
was
done by "qualified" individuals who were not registered in the state in
question.   This may meet a technical interpretation of the PE law but I do
not think that it meets the intent to have a registered PE involved directly
in the design.