RE: Year 2000 computer problem!

Dennis S. Wish PE" <wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com> wrote (a few days ago):

<snip>

>A simpler solution is a mathmatical one that was created by an
>engineer. The solution tricks the program to recognize the last two digits
>by adding an arbitrary number to the data and then subtracting another
>constant. I'm sorry but I forgot how the solution worked but after
>hearing the engineer on Jeff Levy's show, it was so simple. The
>hardest part of the problem was making small modifications to the
>program code to interpret the existing data without spending billions on
>modifications described above.

<snip>

If there are no computer records prior to 1950, a possible solution is:

1.  Subtract 50 from the two-digit year code from all your records (This
may take some work - perhaps a macro could be written to automatically
do this).

2. Insert the following logic codes in your program everywhere where
the year is either input or retrieved as a two-digit code:

	If YEAR > 50, Then YEAR = YEAR - 50
	If YEAR < 50, Then YEAR = YEAR +50

3. Insert a warning that all dates must be between 1950 and 2049.

4. If your program prints "19" or adds "1900" to the year code when it's
displayed or printed, then you need to insert logic codes so that it prints
"20" or adds "2000" to the year if it is less than 50.

You effectively fool the program into thinking it's 50 years earlier than it
really is, and this will buy you another 50 years before you have to
upgrade your software and records.  Also, these changes could be
done anytime before the year 2000 (perhaps over a holiday weekend
when no one needs to use the program).

Michael S. Davis, P.E.