RE: "Electronic" signatures

Robert:

First, Dallas is no hotter or drier than Lubbock!

I have no expert knowledge of digital signatures, other than their use
with Netscape and IE4 to verify certificates, etc.  I don't think that
this is what you refer to in the first paragraph of your message.
Someone out there must have relevant input, however.

With respect to your second paragraph, you should study the latest
version of the Texas PE Board Rules, which can be conveniently
downloaded as an Adobe PDF file at:
http://www.main.org/peboard/license.htm  ; Section 131.166 addresses the
subject of engineer's seals.  I think your concept is sound, as long as
the scanned version is nothing more than a reproduction (of course, file
sizes could be huge).  However, you should be aware that Board Rule
131.166(g) states that "... Signature reproductions, including but not
limited to rubber stamps or computer-generated signatures, shall not be
used in lieu of the engineer's actual signature."  There is no longer
any problem with CADD generated seals in Texas.  The issue is with
anything other than manual signatures.  Before you spend a lot of money
on hardware, it might be a good idea to call the PE Board and talk with
them.  Then, if you get a favorable interpretation, follow it up in
writing.

With respect to an earlier thread on plan stamping, the Texas PE Board
Rules are now very specific on the consequences.  Aiding or abetting
unlicensed practice in any way, including plan stamping:  3 year license
suspension plus a $3000 fine.

Best Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas