RE: Year 2000 computer problem!

At 09:39 AM 8/27/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>Dennis S. Wish PE" <wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com> wrote (a few days ago):
>
><snip>
>
>>A simpler solution is a mathmatical one that was created by an
>>engineer. The solution tricks the program to recognize the last two digits
>>by adding an arbitrary number to the data and then subtracting another
>>constant. I'm sorry but I forgot how the solution worked but after
>>hearing the engineer on Jeff Levy's show, it was so simple. The
>>hardest part of the problem was making small modifications to the
>>program code to interpret the existing data without spending billions on
>>modifications described above.
>
><snip>
>

>If there are no computer records prior to 1950, a possible solution is:
>
>1.  Subtract 50 from the two-digit year code from all your records (This
>may take some work - perhaps a macro could be written to automatically
>do this).
>
>You effectively fool the program into thinking it's 50 years earlier than it
>really is, and this will buy you another 50 years before you have to
>upgrade your software and records.  Also, these changes could be
>done anytime before the year 2000 (perhaps over a holiday weekend
>when no one needs to use the program).
>
>Michael S. Davis, P.E.

This does not deal with leap years correctly, if I remember correctly, the
magic year is set to 1972 and then a similar addition/subtraction
performed.  You still need to deal with the dates past 2049.  I know, that
is not our problem; but that is the thinking in the late 1970's and 1980's
that caused this problem.

Sincerely
Patrick Rodgers