Canvas patio covers and the code????

Dennis,

*No* construction is exempt from code requirements! *Some* construction is
not required to be permitted, but *it must* comply with the code.  (Last
paragraph of Section 106.2, 1997 UBC)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Dennis Wish asked:

. > Am I missing something or is there a specific code requirement (UBC) that
. > makes structures like this exempt from code requirements? If the numbers
. > are typical of other canvas installations, how do the local engineers
. > address the political side of the issue so that we are not accused of
. > trying to create a market or putting some merchant out of business?
. >