Re: "Electronic" signatures

Idaho has amended their law in recent years to allow the use of unsigned
electronic stamps for bidding purposes provided there is a note placed on
the drawing stating who stamped it and on what date, and where the original
is stored.  Idaho also allows the use of 1/2 stamps now on the 1/2 drawings.

TITLE  54
CHAPTER 12
ENGINEERS AND SURVEYORS
54-1215.  CERTIFICATES -- SEALS.

(3)(c)  ... Copies of electronically produced
    documents, listed in paragraph (b) of this subsection, distributed for
    informational uses such as for bidding purposes or working copies, may
    be issued with the registrant's seal and a notice that the original
    document is on file with the registrant's signature and date. The words
    "Original Signed By " and "Date Original Signed " shall be placed
    adjacent to or across the seal on the electronic original. The storage
    location of the original document shall also be provided. Only the
    title page of reports, specifications and like documents need bear the
    seal, signature and date of the registrant.
    (d)  The seal and signature shall be used by registrants only when the
    work being stamped was under the registrant's responsible charge.

Currently we seal, sign, and date the original and then scan it in to make
reproductions.  We have done this for years, it is no different then the
old bluelines were.  We are currently switching to a system that takes
advantage of the recent changes in the law so we won't have to scan them
anymore but can instead send them directly from AutoCAD to our high-speed
printer plotters for volume copies.

Our company is currently in the process of purchasing several high volume
plotters at which the following point came up.

The models we are looking at have the capability to run multiple collated
copies on plain paper media.  This in effect would allow us to eliminate
the blueline monster (and its associated high labor costs, not to mention
repair) in our reproduction department, if digital "electronic" signatures
were permitted.  Someone had said that there has been recent changes with
regards to this concept.  Is this true?

The other option would be to plot a single copy, affix signature and then
use the machines' scanning option (sold seperately) to produce the
construction document sets.  would this be any different than a blueline
print in the eyes of the TX state board, and others?  It is still a
reproduction of the signed "original".  Any thoughts or comments are
appreciated in advance . .

robert d. rollo, PE (structural)
rrollo(--nospam--at)team-psc.com

--
   Scott W. Shepherd, P.E.     (208) 526-1482     sqs(--nospam--at)inel.gov
   Civil & Mechanical Engineering (Home Org) - Supervisor