Re: Truss end connections

Is there really any difference in how the forces are transferred between
a braced building frame (i.e., a vertical truss) and a built-up
horizontal framing member that we call a truss? The actual forces and the
pattern of force transfer may vary, but as long as the connection
configuration is similar and equilibrium is satisfied, I think the
Uniform Force Method is equally applicable. In the end, the whole idea
behind the UF Method is to select the gusset geometry so that the brace
force and the gusset edge forces intersect at or near a single point in
space, thereby eliminating or minimizing (respectively) the
eccentricities (and resulting moments) on the gusset edges.

Charlie