RE: Pole Foundations

Title: RE: Pole Foundations

For using round drilled caissons, we have always used Gaylord and Gaylord Structural Engineering Handbook (criteria is actually a nomograph and formula from the US Outdoor Advertising Association) for lack of a better source.  Key is to assume conservative soil stress value and we usually neglect the top 16-24" of soil as unconsolidated and of no bearing value.  The us navy published some criteria on flagpole foundations may years ago that has also been of some use in the past.