RE: Plywood rigid diaphragms

Lynn-

This really isn't a new topic.  I know that when I worked at the Office of
the State Architect (San Francisco office) over twenty years ago, we
considered the rigidity for wood when plan checking school and hospital
construction.  It didn't often change the results due to the regularity
that schools and hospitals had at that point in time but did a time or two
when the architect got a little crazy with the layout. We didn't require a
rigid diaphragm analysis by the structural engineer unless we thought there
would be a problem (which we had usually checked for before asking for such
an analysis.  The conditions where it is important are usually very
obvious).  Likewise, we didn't always consider concrete diaphragms rigid
depending on the relative stiffness of the shear walls & diaphragms.  I
don't know what their current practice is.

The speaker (Ed Diekmann) at the SEAONC seminar was referring to the '97
UBC requirement (Section 1630.6) which states, in part, "Diaphragms shall
be considered flexible for the purposes of distribution of story shear and
torsional moment when the lateral deformation of the diaphragm is more than
two times the average story drift of the associated story." and Section
1605.2-Rationality which states, "Any system or method of construction to
be used shall be based on rational analysis in accordance with
well-established principles of mechanics.  Such analysis shall result in a
system that provides a complete load path capable of transferring all loads
and forces from their point of origin to the load-resisting elements.  The
analysis shall include, but not be limited to, provisions of Sections
1605.2.1 through 1605.2.3."

This becomes important if you have an irregular building where the center
of mass and the center of rigidity are separated by a significant amount.
 The key point is that the relative deflections of the shear walls and the
diaphragms are what matter.  A deep diaphragm of short span (say a ratio of
0.5) will not deflect as much as a shear wall with a 3.5:1 ratio supporting
it.  Thus, the principles of mechanics are being violated if you use a
tributary area approach because the diaphragm wants to rotate and will drag
the shear wall along for the ride.  A "skinny" wall remote from the center
of rigidity, in particular,  could be loaded much more than would be
determined by tributary areas.

As Ben Schmid has shown in his papers on narrow shear walls, they tend to
deflect a lot under a given  unit shear.  Compare that to wider walls.
 Think about that when you are trying to visualize how the building will
deform.

Regarding the Tri-services Manual approach, remember that the diaphragm and
shear walls don't know that the government has declared them flexible.
 They will just try to distribute loads according to their relative
stiffnesses.

For reasonably regular buildings with shear walls reasonably balanced about
the center of rigidity, the differences between rigid diaphragm theory and
flexible diaphragm theory are less than the precision by which we know the
applied loads (i.e., how close do we really know earthquake loads?) and
tributary area is much quicker.

The best way to understand where the rigidity of the diaphragm is important
is to set up some simple examples with a long (stiff) shear wall at one
end, a skinny (flexible) shear wall near the center and a skinny (flexible)
shear wall at the other end.  You'll quickly get a feel for when you need
to consider rigidity.  Calculate (estimate) the deflections of the
diaphragm and the shear walls.

Bill Cain, S.E.
Oakland, CA