RE: Plywood rigid diaphragms

How about when one side of the building is an open front with steel moment
resisting frames, and in the back of the building you have plywood shear
wall with stucco.  We all know that shear walls with stucco are much stiffer
than regular plywood shear walls.  But not for many cycles during the EQ.
After the design event bits the heck out of stucco, it behaves more like the
regular shear walls.

So if we disregard stucco, then the shear wall will be underestimated.  If
we consider the stiffness of stucco ( and how are we going to do that?),
then shear at the moment frame will be underestimated, since the rigidity of
the shear wall would be reduced significantly after the first several
cycles.

The separate issue is how to calculate the deflection of the shear walls.
Mr. Dieckman suggested to distribute the shear based on the shear wall
capacity  times the length.  We now know that the slender shear walls
deflect differently then the wider ones.  Is rigidity of OSB shear wall the
same as of plywood s.w.?  I don't believe there is enough experimental data
to take all of these factors into account.

My question is this:  How far the solution using the rigid diaphragm theory
will be from the actual lateral force distribution.  May be before we all
start spending hours calculating eccentricities, torsional moments etc., we
need to look at the uncertainties that we deal with in the design, and ask
the industry to provide us with a little more experimental data.

I agree we Bill Cain's opinion that we need to make a distinction between
complex buildings with offsets, large eccentricities etc. and simple wood
structures.  We also need to educate our clients about the effect of the
architects design on engineering fee, and overall cost of construction.

Sasha Itsekson, PE