Re: Plywood rigid diaphragms

Michael-
Thanks for a good run down on this subject.  I appreciate it.

What about plywood shear walls that do not have any holdowns?  (there is no
calculated uplift.)  And what if those wall are in line with a wall that does have
a holdown?  How about Simpson PHDA holdowns that supposedly limit holdown
deflection?  How about strap type holdowns?  Will a strap with 500 lb. uplift have
the same deflection as an HD20A with 15,000 lb. uplift?  Do you need to calculate
the deflection of each holdown type based on your guess of the loads, run the
analysis, and then re-run it?  And when the Architect moves a door or window at
the last minute do you tell him it will cost $2,000 to re-design the walls?

You won't necessarily be calculating the deflection of a single wall, but the
deflection of a "wall line".  But another problem is that these plywood walls do
not distribute loads like concrete walls do.  Due to slippage of nails and other
factors, the forces tend to equalize themselves along the run of a wall.  The
deflection at the top of the wall at one point may not be the same as another.
The horizontal diaphragm must also be "flexible" enough to accommodate this
re-distribution of stresses or the whole theory goes out the window.

In my opinion, this falls in the category of trying to fix something that is not
broke.  From what I have seen and read about the performance of wood framed
structures during recent earthquakes, wood framed horizontal and vertical
diaphragms did very well with the exception of tall slender walls.  I tend to lean
toward the "where are the bodies" camp when making significant code changes.

You are really going to open a pandora's box if we try and go down this road too
far.  Near as I can tell, most buildings perform fine when horizontal and vertical
diaphragms are considered flexible.

Lynn