Re: Plywood rigid diaphragms

Consider that the building dosen't know what value of Rw was used.  The
maximum shear in the wall is determined by the capacity of the wall not the
code forces.

Thus should not distribution of forces in the walls be based on the
ultimate capacities as long as they are less than the demand based on an
Rw=1.

Having said that, I have a lot of sympathy for the position expoused by
Charlie Greenlaw.

In our search for a rational methodology are we missing something?  Was the
damage during Northridge the result of a precise distribution of forces or
the failure of somebody to tie the buildings together?

Mark Gilligan SE