Floor Flatness

Robert Rollo wrote:

> we have a client who desires to evaluate the flatness of an existing
> concrete slab on grade floor and to measure any variations
> periodically
>
> i have seen reports that provided "micro-elevation" study that
> provides a contour type mapping
>
> for any evaluation it seems the tolerance should be tighter than
> conventional survey practice
>
> i am looking for information and equipment required regarding how to
> conduct a slab elevation study with close tolerances. I am of the
> understanding that a data collector is available that meets this
> description.

Robert:

I have researched some old Concrete International publications that were
reprinted in ACI's "Concrete Slabs on Grade" SCM-25.  Of all of the
articles dealing with superflat floors, Edward W. Face Co. out of
Norfolk, VA was mentioned numerous times as a Concrete Flooring
Consultant.  At the time of the publications, there were using dipsticks
as well as profilographs.  I am sure that someone out West would have
similar devices.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.