Wood - Lateral columns and knee braces (kickers)

I should know the answer to this one by now, but I think it has to do with degree.
I am designing a Patio Trellis which is supported by four 6x6 DF #1 columns at the unsupported edge. The shear on the supported edge is distributed into a long shear wall and therefore no problem.
The columns are 10'-6" from the face of the wall.
I have designed the lateral being extremely conservative. I distributed 30% of the weight of the structure (12 psf) into four columns. This amounted to 177 lbs per columns at 8' above the slab.
The moment at the base of the columns would be approximately, 1420 ft-lbs.

I don't want to embed wood into concrete and decided to create a pad footing with a pedestal set six inches above the top of finished slab. I intended to place a TS6x6x1/4" sleeve into the foundation and slip the wood column into place. This way the wood can develope moment without failing relative to the direction of grain.

This is a rather costly solution for a remodel. I wanted to get an opinion about the use of bolted knee braces where the lateral load is relativly small. The approach is to use a 2X6 on each face of the column bolted through and connected to the beam which is a 6x8 DF #1. The connection of the column to beam is done with conventional Simpson CC66's (ECC66 at each end column).

I have not modeled this, but wanted to get a second opinion before investing the time.

BTW, the top of the trellis is simply 4x10's @ 32" o/c with 2x2's at 12" o/c above that.

I need to finish this tomorrow, so if anyone has an opinion, please let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks for the help
Dennis Wish PE