Re: Wood - Lateral columns and knee braces (kickers)

Dennis -

We have used this approach before for lightly loaded trellises such as yours,
and have found the performance to be pretty good.  We use kickers from the
columns to the beams, sometimes inplane with both ends lagged in, and then CB
bases for the columns.  We design the system as a pinned base frame.  I don't
like to use freestanding wood columns with a "moment connection" at the base
like your TS
approach.  I find that you get too much play in the column, particularly at 8'
tall.

If your trellis is small and lightly loaded as you describe, this should work
fine.  But how do you justify the diaphragm???  Don't worry about it, it's
just a trellis.

Bruce Resnick, S.E.
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.