RE: Floor Flatness

	Robert Rollo wrote:

> we have a client who desires to evaluate the flatness of an existing
> concrete slab on grade floor and to measure any variations
> periodically
>
> i have seen reports that provided "micro-elevation" study that
> provides a contour type mapping
>
> for any evaluation it seems the tolerance should be tighter than
> conventional survey practice
>
> i am looking for information and equipment required regarding how to
> conduct a slab elevation study with close tolerances. I am of the
> understanding that a data collector is available that meets this
> description.

Robert:

For at least the past ten years, floor flatness has been specified using
F-numbers, and compliance has been monitored using an electronic
dipstick device.  Both the F-number system and the dipsticks were
developed by the Face Companies of Norfolk, Virginia (757-624-2121 or
http://faceco.com).  This technology is industry standard:  see ACI 117,
ACI 302.1R-89, ASTM E1155-87, and CAN/CSA A23.1-M90.  We have used it
repeatedly since 1990 with excellent results, both to evaluate the
adequacy of construction and to monitor movements over time.  Dipsticks
aren't cheap (more than $10,000).  However, as a structural engineer,
you shouldn't need to purchase them.  Just call your local construction
materials testing & inspection agency for this service.

Best regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas

If it turns out to be a Cuban cigar,