RE: Beam restraint

In Australia the limits on deflection are only a guide ie. not mandatory.

The steel code suggests a limit of L/250 for the serviceability load case
defined in the loading code (half this for cantilevers).  For industrial
structures, our serviceability load case would be (DL + 0.7 LL).

Having said that, we have often used L/360 as an industry "standard" because
of the "abuse" that these structures are given by their users and their need
for a robust structure (so much for elegant design!).

Normally, the LL would be 5 kPa (sorry about the metric term folks!).  If
required by a specification to apply the L/360 limit, I would normally do
this with 3 kPa live load.  Without such a spec, I would use the L/250
criteria.

Regards

Dave Meney (SE)