Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
3/8 inch shear panels[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
- Subject: 3/8 inch shear panels
- From: Ricarev(--nospam--at)aol.com
- Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 19:24:38 EDT
For additional quality assurance purposes,a client has requested that we review plans performed by another engineer for his new residence in Santa Monica.Personally,since Northridge,we have used City of LA shear wall requirements for all projects in or near LA County.Our dilemna is that for this particular project,the engineer specified 3/8 inch Struct I plywood w/8d @ 2 in o.c. for studs at 16 in o.c. Thus under the 1994 UBC,this corresponds to a shear value of 730 plf which is almost quadruple that amount allowed by LA (200 plf).So although the design is legally correct for this jurisdiction,it just doesn't seem right.Do we have a legal or moral obligation to inform the owner and piss off the other engineer?Your feedback is appreciated.Thanks Ricardo Arevalo S.E.
- Prev by Subject: RE: 1950's steel joist catalog
- Next by Subject: 3/8 inch shear panels
- Previous by thread: RE: Beam restraint
- Next by thread: 3/8 inch shear panels