Re: 3/8 inch shear panels

EphHirsch(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> 730 plf ?!!!  What are the hold-down forces on such a wall panel?

Well, if the shear panel was 4 feet long, and 8 feet high, the uplift would be
around 5,000 to 6,000 lbs.  An average sized hold down is all that is required.

> And even if
> a hold-down is found from a catalog (or special designed) to resist such a
> force, what resists the hold-down itself? (That's probably a lot of concrete
> footing dead weight required.)

It does not take a lot of footing and slab to come up with 6,000 lbs.

> The sill bolts figure to be pretty significant
> too.

Hmm, well 3/4" dia bolts at 16" o/c. in a 3x sill plate would probably work fine.
No big deal.

> Regrdless of what the code in question allows, such a force and nailing
> pattern are pretty questionable, even if legal.

Really!  Well, I can tell you it is very common.  In our office we do not use 3/8"
plywood anymore, but a unit shear of 730 plf is very common.  I hope you were not
thinking something like "KIPS" per lineal ft.  That would certainly be a problem.

Lynn