Re: 3/8 inch shear panels

Ricardo,

Try talking to the other engineer first.  He may be unaware of the reasons for
the LA provisions and be happy you pointed them out.  Any time I see an
engineer using 2"o.c. nail spacing, I try to talk him out of it whether asked
or not.  I've seen too many studs with such nailing looking like all they
needed to become toothpicks was the box to pack them in.

If you can't feel comfortable with the results of talking to the other
engineer, state your opinions (and reasons for them) in a non-judgemental way
( i.e., that you don't feel the minimum code requirements will provide him
(the owner) an adequate level of performance) and let the owner decide if he
wants to meet minimum code requriements (all he is required to do) or have an
increased level of performance.  In my experience, an owner that asks usually
wants a better level of performance than code minimums.

Since the client has requested you to look at the design, he's asking for your
professional opinion. I think you are obligated to give it unless he
specifically asked you to "verify it meets the code."  Even then, he would
probably appreciate your comments. Engineers don't always agree.  If you don't
"attack" the other engineer, he really has no reason to get pissed (unless, of
course, he doesn't know he's being peer reviewed.  In that case, ethics
requires you to notify him that you have been asked to review his work.  It
then becomes a beef between the other engineer and the owner).

Bill Cain, SE
Albany, CA