Re: 3/8 inch shear panels

In a message dated 9/3/98 6:28:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time, rkazanjy(--nospam--at)uci.edu
writes:

<< There is nothing wrong with 3/8" plywood shear walls properly designed &
 detailed.  Just use reasonable nailing schedules. >>

Hmmm..  Sure, looks O.K on paper.  Have you seen it on average construction
site?

I specified 3/8" ply on some of my jobs when I started my practice about seven
years ago.  I was relatively new to wood frame construction.  After I saw a
few panels at site, I stopped specifying 3/8" ply.  I fail to understand the
economics on residential remodels.  I agree with Hirsh.  730 plf shear? 3/8"
plywood?  2" nail spacing?  No way!!!

Anand Nene, S. E.