higher loads or better details.

My boss, just brought up an interesting idea,

Here in Hawaii, we have just been exposed to the 1997 UBC.  We noticed that
the Base shear has increased by about 30 percent for the 1997 codes.

My boss mentions that it is not the load that will make the building stand up,
you can increase the load as much as you want but if you do not detail it
correctly, larger load is no good.

Making sure that your load flows through your connection correctly is very
important, I think a lot of people getting out of school lacks that
experience.  Included with the Steel, Concrete, and Timber design, there
should be a special class called connections.

I just recently graduated and I think it was sad that we only spent about a
week in connections.

Professional Engineer's opinions welcome.

Marlou B. Rodriguez
Robert Englekirk Inc.
Honolulu, Hi