Re: higher loads or better details.

Nearly thirty years ago, my boss said something similar.  He remarked that
people know how to design beams; consequently, beams don't fail.
Connections on the other hand...

And we're still learning to design connections.  The ideal connection would
be cheap, easy to design, fabricate and erect...  "...able to leap tall
buildings with a single bound!"

And materials -- Manurium would be a good candidate.  Does anyone remember
manurium?  It's a material with variable properties which can be activated
by specification, anything from a elastic modulus of infinity to a thermal
coefficient of zero.

You asked for opinions (not solutions), didn't you?  ;-)

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561