RE: 3/8 inch shear panels

From: Robert Kazanjy [mailto:rkazanjy(--nospam--at)uci.edu]
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 1998 6:32 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: 3/8 inch shear panels

There is nothing wrong with 3/8" plywood shear walls properly designed &
detailed.  Just use reasonable nailing schedules.

<Dennis> And this is where the problem lies. In the majority of conditions
that I have seen, 3/8" plwd panels were over-nailed by more the maximum 20%
allowance by APA. The problem is not the design or the detail but the
attention paid to installation of the panel. Either the sub-contractor hired
to install the panels does not set the pressure on this nailer correctly, or
if nailed by hand, the layout of nails is all over the place - 2", 4", 1"
and the distance to edge of panel from 1/16" to 5/8".
I would much rather fight the client to justify the few extra dollars to
install a 5-ply panel and stick to my convictions about 3/8" panels. It's
like the old saying "Nail Guns don't kill people, it's the sloppy contractor
that can't hit his mark":>)

Dennis Wish PE