A325 anchor bolts

Since there is no load applied to the bolt outside the nut, it is my opinion
that all you would need is for the nut to fully engage the bolt threads.  (In
fact, there is probably very little load transmitted to the bolt by the last
nut thread regardless of the amount the bolt projects past the nut.)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Chris Palmateer wrote:

. > I have a job in which the contractor installed the anchor bolts for
. > moment frame to low.  The bolts are 1-1/4 in. A325 with heavy head nuts.
. > How many threads does it take to fully develop the bolt?  If the bolts
. > lack 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch from extending through the nut completely, how
. > does one calculate the reduction in the capacity of the bolt?
. >