Re: 3/8 inch shear panels -Reply

Simpson 5/8" dia. SSTB24 bolts (25 inches long) have ICBO approvals for pull out
loads of 5 kips with an edge distance of only 1-3/4".  Allowable loads go up to
10,000 lbs. for 7/8" diameter SSTB bolts.

I do not believe anyone should have problem with a holdown chord carrying a load of
5 to 6 kips.  ICBO rated holdowns are available for these loads, ICBO rated anchor
bolts are available for these loads, and the foundations need not be excessively
large to carry these loads.

Lynn