Re: A325 anchor bolts

Nuts are sized to reliably develop the threads to which they are
attached when the nut is fully engaged.   I believe that your 1.25"-7
UNC nut is about 1.06" thick.  Full engagement means about 7.5 threads
your missing .25 to .375 means 1.75 to 2.8 fewer threads engaged.  About
25 to 35% loss of thread engagement.  Doesn't sound too good.  Can you
afford that kind of loss assuming a linear loss of capacity?  Beware of
thin wall coupling nuts I've had some break  before yielding the
threaded rod being coupled.  Chipping out the concrete to regain your
thread length sounds like the safest bet.

regards

 Robert Kazanjy, PE  **Disclaimer: I speak for myself not UC-Irvine**
 Senior Development Engineer
 Civil & Environmental Engineering
 UC Irvine
 E4130 EG,  Zot: 2175