From: Dennis S. Wish PE <wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com>
To: SEA International List <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Tuesday, September 01, 1998 2:42 PM
Subject: Sharing projects

I have been getting some very interesting replies to my request for consulting work. The level of responses has been from totally unqualified to other engineers looking to expand their practices.
This led me to start thinking of the possiblities of networking among our professional community to share responsiblities on projects - essentially increasing a small office potential and decreasing a larger offices overhead and expense.

I was wondering how many of you have formed cooperations between other professionals either in your own area or outside your area? How have you split responsiblity and who has taken the lead? What distribution of fees is reasonable when dealing with other professionals?
When is it reasonable to step out of the lead as EOR with your client and pass the responsiblity to your Internet associate?

There are a ton more questions, but I am curious if and how others have worked through an Internet based network. Does distance create a problem? Do you have any tricks or techniques to communicate design problems and resolve them?

Now that I got the ball rolling with this thread, I would be very interested in hearing from others who are establishing professional relationships and what expectations you have had or are having for sucess.

Dennis Wish PE