RE: Lag screws in withdrawal from end grain

Nels,
First, your solution with the perpendicular locking pin is similar to what I
proposed, but I like your idea better. Mine used a "flitch plate" type of
connection where the plate is approximately 9.5" x 1/4" x L long (this needs
to be worked out for end distance which I think is around 7 bolt diameters).
Simpson has a connector which they introduced last year for heavy timber
connections that does something like this. You idea is similar to a
furniture connection which locks legs and edges of a table to the top with a
smooth rod inserted into a hole and intercepted by a locking nut. I think
your idea might work very well, although you may check out simpsons
connector. Simpsons product is meant to be hidden from view so as not to
disrupt an aesthetic wood to wood connection.

I mentioned the List meeting, but did not figure anything formal - more of a
social get together. I would be imposing on AF&PA to suggest such a thing. I
think I am going to arrive the night before, but I still have to make the
reservations and find a hotel. It would be a nice idea for List reunions and
could help these seminars by improving attendance.

We have a very special virtual community on our list. Like pen pals, it
would be exciting to have everyone in one place to finally meet.

Nels, you also owe me a visit so I'm hoping you will make it. We never did
get together part way between the desert and Pasadena so I'm looking forward
to seeing you there.

Regards
Dennis