Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Re: Sharing projects[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Re: Sharing projects
- From: "Rawn Nelson" <rawn1(--nospam--at)gte.net>
- Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 11:22:10 -0700
On the subject of voluntary peer reviews: There are engineering offices that provide these services as a major part of their billable services. More owners and developers are realizing the value in having an independent third party design and constructabilty peer review. I have engineering offices that have discussed having a third party review provided within their fee structure. These third party reviews are not meant to be critical of the engineer of record but to aid in the reduction of field problems during construction or in the event of natural or man made disasters. Engineers I have discussed this with have viewed the third party peer reviews as an extension of their own quality control. The old saying "sometimes you can't see the forest because of the trees" comes to mind. The third party reviewer is more apt to provide fresh insight into potential problems perhaps overlooked during the original design and drafting. Coordination between the various construction documents and/or between plans and details has also proven beneficial. Some jurisdictions are requiring peer reviews. Peer reviews have been proven to be cost effective (i.e. saving the owner/developer money). As a sole practitioner who provides these third party peer reviews I have found the savings to the owner/developer have been significant when compared to the fee. I am always willing to help a fellow engineer but the idea of being compensated for these services, when appropriate, still appeals to me. Rawn Nelson R. F. Nelson & Associates ---------- > From: ErnieNSE(--nospam--at)aol.com > To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org > Subject: Re: Sharing projects > Date: Sunday, September 06, 1998 6:01 PM > > I am also interested, particularly wood framed projects which is about 90% of > what I do. The other 10% are tilt-up buildings, residential metal studs, and > various minor structures. I am a one-man office here in Southern California. > > My idea is for a voluntary peer review on projects from participating members > of the group. Structural Plans and Calculations is sent to other engineers who > specializes in the same field and comments are solicited. The extent of > review, schedule and compensation is discussed and those who agree will be > sent the documents. This may not work very well at the start but as we go > along, after a few projects reviewed by various fellow engineers, we can make > a shortlist of those which we feel are reliable, experienced and competent > enough to give a meaningful and effective peer review. Hopefully, everybody in > this group can learn from each other. Lurkers are not allowed. > > For communications, I suggest all interested parties keep a copy of the email > addresses of those who respond as interested and we can email each other. If > the list gets too big to handle, we can ask Shafat if he can make a separate > listserve for this group. > > Just a thought. > > Ernie Natividad > >
- Prev by Subject: Re: Sharing projects
- Next by Subject: Shear Capacity:Sandstone
- Previous by thread: Re: Sharing projects
- Next by thread: stitching digital Photograph into a panoramic view.