RE: Lag screws in withdrawal from end grain

Ernie,

I think that was basically the original question.  It's so unusual to
find a place in the code where engineering judgement seems to be allowed
that we don't know what to make of it.

But while we're on the subject - In my opinion you would only use lag
bolts in withdrawal from end grain where environmental effects (wetting,
drying, shrinkage, etc.) are minimal and the application is
non-critical.

Ed Marshall, P.E.