RE: Lag screws in withdrawal from end grain

Ernie-
Allow me to pose a scenario for you. Say you design this connection with
lags in withdrawal in end grain. Later, it fails. You are dragged into
court. An expert witness testifies that several recognized published
documents state that this condition "should not" be used in design. The
expert witness also cites behavioral properties of wood such as shrinkage,
fiber fracture, etc. Now it's your turn to take the stand. My questions are:

1. What would you offer as a defense?
2. Why take this chance?

I know my good friend Dennis Wish recommends using "creativity" when
interpreting the code and I agree to a significant degree. However, you need
to pick and choose your places and ensure you have a defensible position if
ever you have to defend your design in a court of law.

I have a difficult time visualizing that a connection, although probably
more straightforward if lagged end grain, cannot be achieved by lagging side
grain with some sort of bracket.

Regards,
Bill Allen