Re: Shielding

Don't forget the quartering wind.

Any sailors out there?  Your maximum speed (wind force) is not with a
following wind (perpendicular to the sail), but with a wind which gives
pressure to the windward and suction on the leeward.

I think your client may be leading you down a slippery slope.  The wind can
blow from any direction, and you can't turn your building complex so that
the wind only blows in a structurally favorable direction.

Ever wonder why many large sailing vessels are multi-masted?  If the sails
"shielded" one-another, you'd only have pressure on the aft sail and
suction on the forward one (rear and front or flat end and pointed end to
you land lubbers).

I can just hear your client having you design a sailing vessel, "All those
extra masts and sails cost money, and they're of no value; the sails shield
each other.  Get rid of 'em".

Regards,

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561