Re: Standard of Care

In a message dated 9/9/98 10:08:00 AM EST, mzaitz(--nospam--at)surfsouth.com writes:

<< Hello,

 What is considered the minimum standard of care?  The definition that I
 have seen is extremely vague.  My opinion is that if you are designing a
 struture, you are designing/detailing it so it can be built without any
 extra expertise (excluding specialty engineering such as wood trusses,
 etc.)  Now for the reason for the question.  We are providing shop
 drawings for a client for metal studs.  The building is 4 story load
 bearing metal stud walls with 3" composite metal deck with 3" of
 concrete.  Wood truss roof.  There are numerous items missing on the
 contract documents (the structural of the building is only 10 D size
 sheets).  The strap bracing is shown but not fully detailed.  Notes refer
 to non-existing schedules,  headers are "shown on plan"  but are not
 there.  I don't think that the engineer did his job on this project and
 we are worried about any potential liability from doing our shop
 drawings.  Any thoughts?

 Mike Zaitz

I am not sure what the standard of care should exactly be, but what I would be
most concerned about with this building is if it is in seismic zone 3 or 4.  I
would not trust flat strap x bracing as seismic lateral support for a 4 story
bearing steel stud building with 3"concrete over 3" metal deck at the floors,
even if it calc's out.  I imagine the strap connections are hugh at the first
floor and how is the shear transfer accomplished through the floor system to
the wall.   In my opinion, the engineer is stretching the design envelope and
you need to have shear walls or braced frames.   I would think the application
of strap bracing should be discussed with AISI (American Iron and Steel
Institute), because they may also not recommend it for this particular
building application.  In the initial design concept stage for a large three
story building in seismic zone 4,  our office reviewed using steel bearing
studs and composite metal deck floors as initially requested by the building
owner, and determined the use of strap bracing was not suitable .  We went to
using metal deck and steel beams, with braced frames.

Michael Cochran