Re: Standard of Care

<< I am not sure what the standard of care should exactly be, but what I would
be
 most concerned about with this building is if it is in seismic zone 3 or 4.
 would not trust flat strap x bracing as seismic lateral support for a 4 story
 bearing steel stud building with 3"concrete over 3" metal deck at the floors,
 even if it calc's out.  >>

Assuming the straps are designed as tension only braces (I doubt they satisfy
the required L/r criteria for a compression brace), UBC Section 2211.8.2.3,
prohibits their use for seismic load resistance.  Section 2211.8.5, however,
allows their use for one and two story buildings, though, personally, I would
stay away from them.

Bruce Resnick, S.E.
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.