RE: Concrete cover over conventional reinforcing adjacent to grad e

I don't believe this is any different from previous editions of the UBC.
Section 1915 and Table 18-I-C require the total thickness of the footing to
be 6" (really thin IMHO).  If reinforced, 1907.1.1 requires 3" cover on the
bottom, so d = total thickness less 3.5".  Nothing new about that.