RE: What happen when earthquake shaking bridges in New York City?

First, you have to realize that NYC is not a very seismically active region
(UBC Zone 2A, BOCA accelerations Aa and Av 0.10).  San Francisco is in UBC
Zone 4 (Z=0.40, plus near-source factors would increase the design forces).
Second, if I were there during an earthquake, I'd be a lot more worried
about being hit by a falling parapet from one of the URM buildings
constructed prior to 1950, say.