Concrete cover over conventional reinfor

Donn,

I see no conflict between Sections 1907.7.1.1, 1915.7 and Table 18-I-C.
These requirements have been in the UBC and ACI Code for years.  Table 18-I-C
specifies minimum footing thicknesses, but doesn't differentiate between
reinforced and unreinforced footings.  The requirements of 1915.7 applies to
reinforced and pile supported footings and certainly complies with Table
18-I-C.  Using the requirements of 1907.7.1.1 and 1915.7 would certainly make
10 inches the minimum footing thickness for a reinforced footing.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Donn Wooldridge wrote:

. > TO THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED:
. >
. > PLEASE REVIEW UBC '97 SECTIONS 1907.7.1.1, 1915.7 AND TABLE 18-1-C FOR
. > CONCRETE COVEREAGES OF REINFORCING STEEL.
. >
. > I INTERPRET A CONFLICT (IN WHICH CASE THE MOST RESTRICTIVE WOULD APPLY")
. > IN THESE SECTIONS.
. >
. > A PLAN QUESTIONER (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH A PLAN CHECKER OR REVIEWER),
. > INSISTS ON A 10" THICK FOOTING FOR SIMPLE FOOTINGS TO CONFORM TO
. > 1907.7.1.1??
. >
. > OTHER INTERPRETATIONS???
. >